Certain conditions may prompt holds which prevent students from registering for courses, obtaining a transcript, and/or viewing their records and grades.
The following is a list of common holds that students may encounter, and the actions restricted by the holds.
1. Registration Holds
No special dispensations will be offered to students who cannot register because of a registration hold. For instance, a student who is unable to register for a required course because his or her account is overdue will neither be guaranteed a seat in the course nor offered preferential treatment on the course waitlist once the registration hold is lifted.
To determine if you have a hold preventing registration, log in to your Banner self-service account and follow these links: Student Services → Registration → Check Your Registration Status. Check for your hold status frequently as holds are activated and de-activated on a rolling basis based on the status of your account.
- Degree Application Hold - Seniors expecting to graduate in Advent, Easter, or the following Summer term are invited in August to visit the Office of the University Registrar to complete their degree applications. Students who have not completed this process are prevented from accessing registration. Once a student completes the degree application, the hold is removed.
- Financial Hold - Students with outstanding balances are prevented from ordering transcripts or accessing registration until the balance is cleared. Students who graduate with an outstanding balance are prevented from ordering transcripts or receiving their diplomas until the balance is resolved. Please direct any questions regarding financial holds to the Student Accounts office at 931-598-1432 or email@example.com.
- Incomplete Record Hold - First Year students who have not submitted their final high school transcript to Admissions are prevented from registering for a second semester of enrollment until they provide an official final high school transcript.
- Incomplete Vaccination Record Hold - New students who have not yet submitted their immunization records to the University Health Center are prevented from registering for courses.
- Major Declaration Hold - Students who have not declared a major by the registration period of their fourth semester of enrollment are prevented from registering. This hold remains until a student submits a completed declaration form to the Office of the University Registrar. For more information about major declaration, see the entry on Major/Minor/Certificate Declaration.
2. Other Holds
- Course Evaluation Hold - Near the end of each semester, students are prompted to submit evaluations for each of the courses in which they are currently enrolled. In order to ensure a double-blind system, a hold is placed on all students which prevents viewing of final grades, including in SODA, and ordering transcripts. Once the student submits the evaluations, the hold is automatically removed.
- Grade Processing Hold - During the course grading period at the end of each semester, students are unable to view their final grades, including in SODA, until all grades have been entered and processed. This hold is active from the last day of exams each semester until the scheduled date that grades are made available to students (See Important Dates and Deadlines and be sure to select "Include Important Deadlines"). For seniors graduating in May, the hold is active from the last day of exams until 4:30 P.M. on the Friday before commencement.
Article is closed for comments.